How long does it take to receive an offer of compensation on a personal injury claim? There is no fixed time period for this. There are two reasons for this.
Firstly the defendant will not make offers of settlement (generally) without first having investigated whether they are to blame (liability). If they admit liability then they will look to settle the claim as cheaply as possible (from the defendant’s perspective).
The second reason is because some defendant’s make offers of settlement BEFORE you obtain a medical report (e.g. they make an offer before you have seen a medico-legal expert. The expert drafts a medical report confirming your injuries and prognosis). Other defendants will only make offers of settlement AFTER you have disclosed to them your medical report.
In simple claims where liability is admitted you would expect all claims to be concluded within 2-5 months. In more complicated claims where liability may be disputed, or the injuries are complex, then claims can take 6-18 months.
There are a lot of changes happening in 2020 in respect of personal injury claims and particularly when defendants can make offers of settlement to you.
Civil Liability Act 2020
The Civil Liability Act is due to be implemented later this year.
The reforms will:
- Introduce a ban on defendants seeking or offering to settle whiplash claims without medical reports (e.g. without evidence of the injury).
- Increase the small claims limit for road traffic accident claims to £5,000 from the current £1,000. Solicitors are only entitled to their costs being paid by the defendant in cases where the value is OVER the small claims limit, e.g. currently over £1,000. This increase leads to questions being asked as to how solicitors will receive payment for their fees in such cases, if at all, as the only person able to pay them would be the client…
- Increase the small claims limit for other personal injury claims (non-road traffic accidents) to £2,000. Again, solicitors are only entitled to their costs in cases where the value is OVER the small claims limit. If your claim value is under £2,000 then this leads to questions as to how solicitors will receive payment for their fees, if at all, as the only person able to pay them would be the client…
- Substantially reduce the amount of compensation for some aspects of whiplash claims. This again results in clients receiving substantially less compensation for whiplash injuries and reducing the opportunity to pay the solicitors fees via a deduction from your compensation.
- Encourage individuals to bring claims themselves without solicitors or legal representation via a computerised Portal system.
- Result in you either having to represent yourself in court or having to pay for representation at court where the value of your claim falls below the small claims limit AND the defendant challenges your claim and refuses to settle the claim in your favour.
- Result in you having to use the portal yourself if the value of your claim is under the small claims limit resulting in you having to arrange your own medical evidence unless you instruct a third-party to assist you and come to an agreement in respect of their fees.
if I have been injured in the last 3-years as a result of an accident which was not my fault and not yet made a claim what should I do?
If you have been injured in an accident which was not your fault within the last 3-years and you have not made a claim for compensation we would suggest you obtain urgent legal advice. Especially before the reforms come into force. Once the reforms come in to force via the Civil Liability Act you may receive less compensation (in the event your claim is for whiplash) and/or the likelihood of you being represented by a solicitor via a no win no fee agreement may be drastically reduced – depending upon the value of your claim.
In any event, you may be close to the limitation on your claim passing as you can not claim compensation for accidents which occurred more than 3-years ago so the sooner you take action and obtain legal advice the better.
Contact us for FREE and no-obligation advice
To receive your FREE and no-obligation legal advice and more information please:
- Contact us here
- 0800 193 0503
- Register your interest for FREE and no obligation
- We will take care of everything for you!
You do NOT need to be a member of My Legal Club to benefit from free legal advice from our solicitors. Members benefit in many ways – one of which being no deductions in personal injury claims! Read more about this below!
Potential Savings With My Legal Club
Many solicitors deduct 25% from your compensation to go towards their success fee and un-recovered costs.
Further information on how this works can be found here.
Not all solicitors make this deduction, but many do. Our solicitors have committed to not deducting this (in most cases 25%) fee from our members, without any change in the outstanding levels of service provided to their clients.
When we ran our trial, on average, people who claimed for personal injury via My Legal Club panel solicitors received £600.00+ more than if they had selected a solicitor who deducted 25% from their compensation towards legal fees/success fees.*
As an example, let’s assume a member of My Legal Club instructed one of our panel solicitors to pursue a claim for compensation. The claim is successful, and they are awarded £2400 compensation. A solicitor charging a 25% deduction, for un-recovered costs and/or a success fee, against this compensation payment of £2400 would deduct £600.
A member of My Legal Club, instructing one of our panel solicitors, would keep this £600.
If you, or someone you care for, have been injured in an accident and require support please do not delay and get in touch with us. Our expert solicitors benefit from huge experience in rehabilitation, recovering loss of earnings, supporting you and securing you compensation.
The Panel Solicitors Of My Legal Club Are
- Highly experienced
- Sensitive to the circumstances you, and/or your family, have suffered
- Keen to ensure you have the best rehabilitation
- Able to assess any future care and treatment requirements
- Able to review your instructions on a no win – no fee basis
- Committed to providing our members with unique discounts against any legal fees
Specialist Advice – Rehabilitation
When you, or a loved one, have suffered and require advice it is vital you speak to the right solicitors.
Our panel solicitors will listen diligently and support your every need.
You can be certain with our panel of solicitors we have selected vastly experienced solicitors who have a proven track record for supporting people when they require it the most.
Present and future care needs, along with any rehabilitation, are central to the thinking of our panel solicitors.
Free Consultation With Our Specialist Solicitors
Our highly recommended specialist solicitors offer a free initial consultation.
Origins of My Legal Club
My Legal Club was founded by Sean Rogers – an experienced solicitor with extensive knowledge of legal services. Throughout his work in the legal sector, he realised that there wasn’t anything currently available that offered guaranteed access to recommended specialist solicitors, for a great price.
We have a strict code of standards for the level of customer care and support we demand, and all solicitors recommended by My Legal Club have agreed to abide by this code of standards. We will undertake regular checks to ensure that all our members are receiving the high levels of service we are committed to providing.
Our company vision is to strive for complete engagement.
Engagement with our clients. Engagement with our commercial partners. Engagement with our employees. Engagement with our community.
We aim to provide and offer, exceptional levels of engagement and personal support.